Monday, April 22, 2013

Married thirteen years, what I learnt : PART ONE

So today is our 13th wedding anniversary. Yes it has been 13 years and we are going strong.As a way of celebrating our anniversary, I will be posting what I learnt through out the thirteen years and what I believe God intends marriage to be.

1. I learnt to put God first in everything that I do. I always say whenever I am asked to speak to soon to be wives that marriage can be so much fun that you might forget to pray. Mainly because the spouses becomes the center of it all. Having a husband who loves God too will be an anchor if you find yourself getting carried away.I know this and will always be grateful for my sweet husband who loves God too. Matthew 6 v 33 says that we should seek the kingdom first before anything else.

2. I learnt to listen. I was a teacher when I got married and so used to being listened to. This, I learnt gradually, still learning. Just like we need to listen to God, we should also listen when our husbands are speaking to us. I try not to speaker over him. I try not to disrespect him by being attentive and make sure that I make gestures that will assure him that I am listening to him. My hubby hates it when I try to multi task when he is speaking to me. He assumes that I am not paying attention so I always make sure that I look at him and acknowledge what he is saying. Proverbs 18 v 13 clearly tell us to listen before we speak because if we do not do so then that is a sign of foolishness.

3. I learnt to submit. This also helped to do away with pride. This day and age, submission might seem a thing of the past cause we tend to think of what tradition or culture says. What God says about submission is very clear in the bible. Ephesians 5 v22 says that we should submit to our husbands. This does not mean that we should become door mats. Christ never made the church His door mat hence we should never accept abuse physical or mental abuse from our husbands. However, submission means loving our husbands, not letting pride take over, be able to let him take the lead and be his HELPER. When God created woman, He said, Genesis 2:18"Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”

4. The last thing I will share today is that I learnt to dot on my husband. I know when he is in his 'nothing box' to leave him alone and let him rest. I know when he needs a hug. I know his favourite foods and I cook them for him. I make sure that when he goes to work he looks nice. I take care of those things that one might not think of. I make sure that his favourites are always around (food, drink, movies, music etc).

I am still learning all of the above, striving to be the noble wife that would be fit for my king Farai. I will post more of this series and talk more about the things that I have learnt about marriage and our walk with Christ.

Stay blessed,


2 comments:

  1. Happy 13th anniversary, Mapipi! Sounds like you've learned a ton from your first 13 years of marriage and how wonderful of you to share that with everyone.

    I'm visiting you from the Happy Wives Club link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I am still leaning.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment. I love hearing from you all the time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...